Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

I know I just saw a movie yesterday, but I really wanted to see this one and it only plays at select theaters, so I decided to see it while I could.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth with high expectations, of course, considering some of the reviews I read. I guess I wasn't really prepared for what I saw in the theater today. It was pretty gruesome and bloody. I actually really enjoyed the movie without all of those scenes. It was extremely imaginative, and portrayed an innocent little girl with a beautiful spirit and an intriguing insight and perspective. The pictures in the forest were fairy tale shots, and the characters had potent personalities, expressing themselves through distinctive facial expressions, and concise and rich words. I loved the main character Ofelia; the contrast between her character being beautiful in her innocents, and a war torn Spain- country side, lead by a malicious and ruthless Captain, who is also her newfound Step-Father, is a brilliant and intriguing idea.

Guillermo Del Toro, director of Pan's Labyrinth, incorporated so many of the fairy tales that we have grown up with, and have grown to love. I think of all the good moves he made in directing this film, familiarizing the viewers with common, and well-known fairy tales was the best. The story is one of survival, a fairytale world and a heart for something more. I really enjoyed this movie but I don't know if I would, or should recommend it to anyone. It's not a lighthearted film.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Camille, I saw this movie last week. It really is an awesome film. A bit overly dramatic at times though.

It's unfortunate how great films like this and 'Babel' don't get as much hype as some of the less creative, mainstream films out there.

Unknown said...

Hi Camille!! Wow, it's been a long time. How are you? What are you up to?

I saw Pan's Labyrinth recently too. I loved it. It was a lot more violent then I had expected but still good. You should watch the Devil's Backbone, one of Guilermo Del Toro's earlier horror films, it's good too.

Poteaux récents